[Linux-cluster] Re: GFS, what's remaining

D. Hazelton dhazelton at enter.net
Sat Sep 3 06:42:31 UTC 2005

On Saturday 03 September 2005 02:14, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-09-03 at 13:18 +0800, David Teigland wrote:

> > > Again, that's not a technical reason.  It's _a_ reason, sure.
> > > But what are the technical reasons for merging gfs[2], ocfs2,
> > > both or neither?
> > >
> > > If one can be grown to encompass the capabilities of the other
> > > then we're left with a bunch of legacy code and wasted effort.
> >
> > GFS is an established fs, it's not going away, you'd be hard
> > pressed to find a more widely used cluster fs on Linux.  GFS is
> > about 10 years old and has been in use by customers in production
> > environments for about 5 years.
>
> but you submitted GFS2 not GFS.

I'd rather not step into the middle of this mess, but you clipped out
a good portion that explains why he talks about GFS when he submitted
GFS2.  Let me quote the post you've pulled that partial paragraph
from: "The latest development cycle (GFS2) has focused on improving
performance, it's not a new file system -- the "2" indicates that it's
not ondisk compatible with earlier versions."

In other words he didn't submit the original, but the new version of
it that is not compatable with the original GFS on disk format.
While it is clear that GFS2 cannot claim the large installed user
base or the proven capacity of the original (it is, after all, a new
version that has incompatabilities) it can claim that as it's
heritage and what it's aiming towards, the same as ext3 can (and
does) claim the power and reliability of ext2.

In this case I've been following this thread just for the hell of it
and I've noticed that there are some people who seem to not want to
even think of having GFS2 included in a mainline kernel for personal
and not technical reasons. That does not describe most of the people
on this list, many of whom have helped debug the code (among other
things), but it does describe a few.

I'll go back to being quiet now...

DRH