[Linux-cluster] Bad Superblock on LV

Mike Paradis mparadis at logicore.net
Wed May 30 00:12:19 UTC 2007

My fault for keeping the storage connected while trying some new installer
software. The *&%@& software started the installer and since it saw the
storage, immediately started formatting it.

Since I didn't notice it in time, it formatted almost half of my storage.
Lucky for me, it's not production but there were files I wanted to keep. Most
important, this is a good time to learn how I would have dealt with this
problem.

So, first I went to another server.

I could see that where files used to be were now a lot of dead links.
After checking some things, I decided to reboot the storage hoping that
stopping it mid way would allow it to rebuild. It didn't.

Now that it's back up, I've recreated the logical volumes without formatting
or anything else and am trying to simply mount it to see what is still on
there.

# mount -t ext3 /dev/vg00/media /shared/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/vg00/media,
       or too many mounted file systems

So, looks like a bad super-block. Trying to fix that;

# ./fsck /dev/vg00/media
fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...
fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open
/dev/vg00/media

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Ok, so trying e2fsck;

# ./e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/vg00/media
e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
./e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/vg00/media

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

So, before I hurt things any worse... any thoughts?

Mike