[linux-lvm] question about LVM kernel module - mirroring

Luca Lavorante luca at dedalus.com.br
Fri Oct 11 06:33:13 UTC 2002

Hi everybody, I am new to the list and hope you will excuse my (perhaps)
silly questions.

1) I have seen in the LVM documentation that the program is divided into:

   - A kernel module
   - a set o binaries (commands etc.)

I´d like to know whether it is possible to use LVM WITHOUT a kernel
module. I mean a deamon process. I´m asking that because sometimes I am
not allowed to recompile the kernel on production machines.

2) How can I perform mirroring using LVM? I know the kernel can do that
on local disks. Is it possible for the kernel of  two clustered machines
to mirror two disks on an external storage?
I am working on a HA cluster.

Thanks for your attention

        Luca Lavorante