Console peaced out?

Jim Maul jmaul at elih.org
Fri Dec 17 20:26:47 UTC 2004

I am running rh9 on a couple machines at work here.  While i was out
sick one day a co-worker logged into one of the machines and did loaded
up xwindows (startx).  I (and him) have done this many times in the past
without a problem but for some reason when he did it this time, he said
that xwindows started loading but then the screen went black and that
was it.  I originally thought it might be something with the display
settings being out of range for the monitor but it appears that is not
the problem.  The machine responds fine (to ping and such) and i can get
into it through ssh without and problems but the console appears to be
hosed.  The keyboard is unresponsive (i cant even get the numlock light
to come on) and the screen is just sitting there black.  It is not a
problem with the monitor or anything as i have swapped that out.

I tried killing his session to see if it would log him out and return
the console to a prompt but that did not happen.  The session ended as
it not longer is displayed in top or who but still the console remains
black and the keyboard is unresponsive.

Is there something that i can kill or run to be able to get the console
back?  This machine usually goes 8-10 months before something comes up
where it needs to be rebooted and i REALLY dont want to have to reboot
it now.  Its serving quite a lot for us here.  And yes, i know you
shouldnt really be running x on a console of a server but hey, he did
and now its hosed and i gotta deal with it.

Does anyone have any ideas or perhaps more info is needed?

Thanks,

-Jim