F10 - boot - how to get into interactive boot?

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Tue Feb 3 15:39:41 UTC 2009

Robin Laing wrote, On 02/03/2009 09:37 AM:
> Hello,
>
> Sure, I know to press 'I' but on two machines, it has been a nightmare.
>  One machine it never worked.
>
> With faster machines, there is no time to press the button.
>
> I found it wouldn't work if the normal Fedora splash screen was up on
> the screen.  I had to press escape to get it to work.  If I pressed to
> soon, the keyboard wouldn't work at all.  It all happened so fast.
>
> On the second machine, I never got it to work.
>
> This machine has encrypted partitions and the password prompt makes it
> harder.
>
> I can just get the Esc button pushed in time for the password to be
> requested.  I then press 'I" right after pressing 'Enter.'  I get a
> whole bunch of 'I's" before and after the notice but it still continues
> into udev and on into a normal boot.  I never could get it to work.
>
> Is there a way to get into interactive mode from grub?
>
> When in the boot process is the keyboard input scanned for the
> Interactive?  Before or after the message to press "I"?
>
> And is it a "I" or "i"?  I have tried both.

I think I have had either work, though all is confusion as when I have to use
it, for some reason I seem to be in panic/hurry up mode. :)

perhaps edit /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and add a `sleep 1` before and after the
  echo -en $"\t\tPress 'I' to enter interactive startup."
line.

If that works for you, may I suggest filing a bug against the output of
`rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit` such that the next version of
that rpm includes the sleeps?

--
Todd Denniston