WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sun Feb 8 19:04:01 UTC 2009

On 02/07/2009 10:51 PM, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> Neither can I wait for new programs or features, :-)!
>
> My point is that instead of requiring you to install or do some kind
> of a risky yum upgrade (as someone mentioned above, and most likely
> the drivers you may have installed may have to be replaced) to get the
> newest software, WHY NOT JUST PROVIDE UPDATES FOR THE LATEST SOFTWARE?
>
> You can all rail against me, which I expected, but I was just trying
> to make a point because I like Fedora!

I've run many distros. I think if you want a continuous stream and stay
at the cutting edge, look into gentoo. I certainly would prefer a way
for a smooth upgrade without going through the installer, but I
understand the dynamics of the way things work as I've been in the Unix
community for over 25 years. The issue comes down to a combination of
kernel, drivers, libraries, utilities, and applications. This can
provide quite a nightmare to figure out what plays with what.
Microsoft's solution is that you have to buy the next release.

On the other side, upgrading between releases has become much, much
better so that a fresh install is not necessary. When I upgraded from
Fedora 9 to Fedora 10, I simply placed the isolinux kernel and initrd in
my /boot and did an online upgrade. It worked so smoothly for me, I did
the similar thing upgrading RHEL 4 to 5.2 on some servers at work (with
RHEL 5.2 via NFS). It saved me having to pester the receptionist for
keys to the computer room and some of the servers could not read the DVD
media.

One more comment about the way Ubuntu is set up. When a new release is
available, you are prompted to do an online upgrade. Again, Ubuntu is
also on a 6-month cycle. As a person who currently runs both Ubuntu and
Fedora 10 and RHEL 5.2, and who used to run SuSE, I currently prefer
Fedora.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix