qemu-kvm: qns regarding network and usb keyboard setup

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Feb 21 04:12:13 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I have no idea what you mean here, sequences such as Cntl-Alt-2 (control
>> console) certainly do reach QEMU and bring the expected response. That
>> they go through the driver, kernel, X11, and for all I know Paris is
>> detail, the point is that these sequences do pass through unless some
>> higher level acts on them.
>
> Ctrl+Alt+2 gets passed through to the apps by X11, Ctrl+Alt+F2 doesn't.

You are restating what I just said as though you were disagreeing. Why is that?

The OP said he couldn't pass the Cntl-Alt-F2 and I told him how by going into
the QEMU monitor, then you said the key is intercepted by X11, which sounds a
LOT like "do pass through unless to higher level acts on them." At least to me.
The Cntl-Alt-F2 is acted upon by a higher (X11) level.

Relatedly, I sure wish I could pass Cntl-Alt-Left to the host window manager by
some trickery such as using the right Alt-Cntl keys. :-( That passes to the VM
when I don't want it to.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>