Install DVD

David Miller david at millersweb.com
Sat Feb 28 19:57:12 UTC 2009

Aldo Foot wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 9:57 AM, David Miller <david at millersweb.com> wrote:
>
>> I have started using Redhat about Redhat 4 and started using Fedora after
>> RedHat 9.
>> I am a little more than a casual user.  I develop embedded software and use
>> linux for my development platform but I don't develop linux code.
>> I currently have a fiber internet connection and downloads are normally
>> quick.
>> I went to http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-all and downloaded the
>> direct download for Fedora 10 and burned a DVD with K3B but the DVD would
>> not mount in my system.
>> I went back and downloaded the Bit Torrent and verified the sha1sum and then
>> burned another DVD with K3B and asked K3B to verify the write. All went well
>> until I tried to mount the DVD.
>> I get a popup with the following: Error
>> org.freedesktop.Hal.PermissionDenied.  Details Permission denied: Not in
>> active session.
>>
>> I haven't seen this described any where else.  Can anyone give me a hand.
>>
>> David Miller
>>

> A few releases back some people had the same problem and it
> was related to ConsoleKit. A system update or restarting the
> ConsoliKit  service would fix it.
>
> ~af

Well I found out that I could see the DVD on a windows machine and that
my daughters Fedora 8 machine could mount it just fine.  I discovered
that it is just my Fedora 7 machine that now doesn't see any DVD or CD
when I put them in to mount. If I put it in the drive and boot the
machine it will read it to do an install.
My Fedora 7 machine has 2 drives in raid 0 and a bunch of stuff
installed from yum.  I haven't done an install on 8 or 9 because so much
stuff has to be backed up and restored and  I fear that doing an upgrade
to 10 may have problems.

For now I would like to fix this problem.  I am bringing up another
machine that I will put Fedora 10 on and then transfer all my data.
Then I can do a clean install on this machine.
A power down and power up didn't help the problem.
I use yumex all the time as a yum gui.  It tells me that I have
ConsloeKit, ConsoleKit-libs and ConsoleKit-x11 installed.
Do I need to get the rpm's and force a reinstall?

David